Saturday, May 28, 2011

MAY 28

 I have been so blessed by reading Streams In the Desert with Calli each day through this.  It is the original 1925 devotional by Mrs. Chas. E. Cowman.  Today's just hit the nail on the head, and encouraged me so much to just Hold on to Jesus, cling to Him, give up my will, my way, and cling tight to Him and His.  

A precious friend, and father to me, always says, "The greatest struggle, is the struggle not to struggle."  It is so true, that when I stop trying to figure things out, and stop searching for what to do next, or even what to pray....... when I sit back and rest, and quiet my soul, when I am still...He begins to strengthen the desire to hold on tight and cling to the Him....He sends people to encourage us, and He establishes His plans.  He has prepared us for this journey.  I will write more about that through the next few days, but just wanted to share this with you today.

STREAMS IN THE DESERT
MAY 28
"I will not let thee go, except thou bless me ... and he blessed him there."
(Gen. 32:26, 29.)

Jacob got the victory and the blessing not by wrestling, but by clinging. His limb was out of joint and he could struggle no longer, but he would not let go. Unable to wrestle, he wound his arms around the neck of his mysterious antagonist and hung all his helpless weight upon him, until at last he conquered.

We will not get victory in prayer until we too cease our struggling, giving up our own will and throw our arms about our Father's neck in clinging faith.

What can puny human strength take by force out of the hand of Omnipotence? Can we wrest blessing by force from God? It is never the violence of wilfulness that prevails with God. It is the might of clinging faith, that gets the blessing and the victories. It is not when we press and urge our own will, but when humility and trust unite in saying, "Not my will, but Thine." We are strong with God only in the degree that self is conquered and is dead. Not by wrestling, but by clinging can we get the blessing. --J. R. Miller

An incident from the prayer life of Charles H. Usher (illustrating "soul-cling" as a hindrance to prevailing prayer): "My little boy was very ill. The doctors held out little hope of his recovery. I had used all the knowledge of prayer which I possessed on his behalf, but he got worse and worse. This went on for several weeks.

"One day I stood watching him as he lay in his cot, and I saw that he could not live long unless he had a turn for the better. I said to God, 'O God, I have given much time in prayer for my boy and he gets no better; I must now leave him to Thee, and I will give myself to prayer for others. If it is Thy will to take him, I choose Thy will--I surrender him entirely to Thee.'

"I called in my dear wife, and told her what I had done. She shed some tears, but handed him over to God. Two days afterwards a man of God came to see us. He had been very interested in our boy Frank, and had been much in prayer for him.

"He said, 'God has given me faith to believe that he will recover--have you faith?'

"I said, 'I have surrendered him to God, but I will go again to God regarding him.' I did; and in prayer I discovered that I had faith for his recovery. From that time he began to get better. It was the 'soul-cling' in my prayers which had hindered God answering; and if I had continued to cling and had been unwilling to surrender him, I doubt if my boy would be with me today.

"Child of God! If you want God to answer your prayers, you must be prepared to follow the footsteps of 'our father Abraham,' even to the Mount of Sacrifice." (See Rom. 4:12.)

No comments:

Post a Comment

We love to know your reading! Your comments encourage us!